My VW Syncro
A van called Wanda
May 2004:This started as a whim and has now reached minor obsession levels.
Wanda is my primary car I drive her to work every day. I plan to do a "light"
camper conversion. (The blue text links to other pages)
Why Wanda is special: or rather why my wallet is empty!
- 2005 May:Replaced spots with el
cheapos from Game (Maxtec 55w R250 for a pair.) These are plastic and won't
rust as much as the last pair (I hope). Those fancy stainless steel ones
from 4x4 shops go for about R2000!!
- 2005 May:Auxiliary interior
lighting (Playing with high brightness LED'S).
- 2005 May: Yet another exhaust - this time stainless from Wildcat
- broke the same day, repaired under warrantee. Now been to SAamtrek and
back - added a dent or two up the kloof on the 4x4 trail but still good.
- 2005 April:Rewired second battery
with relay etc.
- 2005 March: Nomad Bumper Bullbar
custom built for me.
- 2005 Feb: Fitted a simple awning by
- 2005 Feb: Exhaust repaired again - Exhaust broke off where two
pipes go into one.
- 2005 Jan: Starter reconditioned. Rewired high current leads for
starter +ve and earths - now spins well.
- 2004 Dec: Blew head gasket - Fixed in Riversdale - I recommend
van Riebeeck motors for good service and price.
- 2004 Nov: Viglietti tried to fix an oil leak - still leaks a bit
- 2004 Aug: Wolfsberg finally fixed my hesitation problem when
cold. MAP sensor had a loose connection. May be wiring harness - hope not!
- 2004 July:
- New Clutch, Gearbox re-build, all 8 CV joints stripped cleaned &
serviced, fuel injectors ultra-sonic cleaned, engine tuneup and check.
armour plate window film fitted for anti-hijack and stone protection,
Eddie's de-coupler fitted, (now optional 2 or 4 wheel drive) console
tray between front seats.
- 100 Watt Auxiliary spots - on bull/mouse bar wired to brights with overide
to turn them off in town or to bypass car electrics in emergency.
- (Oh and an extension to my mortgage bond to pay for this lot!)
- Complete re-spray with a white roof for cool-ness (In the sun and around retro vans :-) )
- Colour coded Mirrors
- Full width lower front grill with clear/smoked front turn indicators
- Seat belts and armrests all round - all 8 seats.
- Cool blue dash lighting (Description here)
- In Car Entertainment (Description here)
- Misc stuff (Garage mod, Tail Lights fix, High level brake light)
- Dual battery system
- Lights on reminder
- Cell phone car kit
- Sanji VESA level 4 car alarm with motion sensor.
- New exhaust system
- Purchased Wanda
- 14" Standard Caravelle Mag wheels, Firestone ATX tyres
- Aircon, Front Electric windows, Central locking, Arm rests all round
- Electric Mirrors, Power steering, tow-bar, bull bar, padded dash
- 2 L straight 4 Golf/Jetta Tiico/Remtec engine
- Front & Rear vacuum driven diff-locks, 4wd, spacers on rear springs to raise the clearance
- 4th gear switched to be the same as 5th on 2.6 (.78)
Some pics of WandaSAamtrek 2005.
Copyright © 2005. All rights reserved.
Revised: Aug 3, 2005.