Journeys End News

Return to the main page. (please do not use the browser back arrow)
  • Troop Scouters Report
  • Chairman's Report
  • Cedarberg Adventure 1996
  • Patrol Camp and Hike
  • Beach Hike
  • 1997 Night Hike
  • Competition Camp
  • Tarzan Camp
  • 1997 Night Hike
  • P.L.'s Indaba
  • Egg Drive '97
  • Scouting (on) the Internet

  • 1st Durban North Journey's End Scout Troop
    Troop Scouter's Report 1996/97

    This year the troop reached new heights in having our first Springbok Scout and Bushman's Thong Award in 10 years!

    A group of 7 scouts under the leadership of adult leader Andrew Perkins attended the Cedarberg Senior Scout Adventure in the Western Cape. This included many challenges such as paragliding, flying an aircraft, kyaking, boating, swimming, rock climbing and about 120 km of hiking. The team returned much wiser, with memories that will be with them for life. Our thanks go to the Journey's End Moths for their generous donation, which went towards funding the transport.

    On 21 February, a ceremony was held in the Natal Sharks Board Auditorium, at which Craig Charter was awarded his Springbok Scout Badge. This was the culmination of many years of hard work. I was very honoured to have been asked to do this presentation, after which we were treated to a screening (on 3 big screens) of the official Cedarberg Video. This was real eye-opener to many parents and enabled all of us to share in the excitement of the Cedarberg Adventure.

    We joined the District at a BP Weekend Camp to celebrate Lord Baden Powell's Birthday. The highlight was a tour of the Hazelmere Dam. At the Awards Ceremony, we were, once again, awarded the H V Marsh Award (Gold Standard) for our Group Magazine : Journey's End News. Well done to Brian Spurr, our long suffering editor!

    We ran a table at the Price/Savages Half Marathon, collected eggs for the Egg Drive (the Endlovini District collected 900 dozen eggs - an all-time record) and often assisted in cooking and selling Hamburgers at the big screen Rugby events at the Sharks Board - thanks to Graeme Charter. This enabled us to raise funds for transport to SANJAMB '97.

    In May, 9 scouts joined the Area Beach Hike, which involved hiking from Thompson's Bay to Blythdale Beach including an overnight stop. Although a bit wet, at times, a thoroughly enjoyable time was had by all.

    The Group Campfire on 20 June was, once again, a great success, whilst our District Church parade could have been better attended.

    The District Night Hike was particularly well attended this year with over 100 scouts from Endhlovini, participating. The boys left by train at 6.30 pm from Greenwood Park Station for an unknown destination, North of Verulam. They hiked all night with many realistic challenges at intervals - involving a variety of their scouting skills such as first aid, shooting, recovering drums and crossing rivers. They finished up with breakfast at the Mdloti Lagoon at 06h30 and slept for the rest of the day.

    We entered a young team (for the first time in many years) in the Junior Base Hike, which was held in the Estcourt district. They found it a tremendous challenge and learnt a great deal.

    The district Soap Box Derby unfortunately had to be postponed on account of rain.

    Craig Charter received his Chief Scout's Award from the Chief Scout personally on 14 September 1997, together with the other Springbok Scouts in the KwaZulu-Natal Area.

    Two teams entered for the Area Tarzan Camp and came second and fourth in extremely hot weather! Well done to all of you.

    The boys are looking forward to participating in the District Competition Camp in two weeks' time and we have a team of twelve going to the National Jamboree (SANJAMB '97) at Vaal Dam in December. Thanks to the Committee for sponsoring the transport.

    Many good scouts have left us during the year, owing to other pressures, but we have made up the deficit with new ones, our number now being 29, with 6 waiting to be invested.

    Thanks must go to my able assistants, Siva Naidoo and Brian Alborough. Siva has completed his Wood Badge Theory and is awaiting the Award. This year, Troop helpers, Andrew Perkins and David Berry have been a great help and Craig Charter has turned 18 and will be joining them as a Troop Helper.

    Finally, a special word of thanks to the Group Support Committee, under the able Chairmanship of Paul McMullen, for all their assistance during the past year. Without them, none of the above would have been possible.

    Yours in the Brotherhood

    James Perkins
    Troop Scouter

  • Return to the top of the page.

    Chairman's Report 1997
    Chairman's Report : A.G.M. 10th October 1997

    I wish to begin by thanking my committee for their help and support during this past year. The committee, for those of you who may not know, consists of Brian Spurr, Neil Berry, Lyn Berry, Caroline Peacock and Jimmy Hollows.

    Plans to make extensions to the hall did not materialise this year as our tenants have found other accommodation that better suits their needs. In spite of this, our space problem has been largely averted, by procuring a second container, thanks to the efforts of Jimmy Hollows. We also have a prospective new tenant standing by to take over the lease from the New Year.

    Sadly one of our cub packs had to be closed down this year due to lack of help and absence of a Scouter, but the other pack is flourishing in the hands of Mike Gill and his helpers. The Scout Troop is also going strong under the guidance of James Perkins and his group of helpers. Thanks to all of those involved.

    I wish to further thank all the parents who have helped during the year with cub and scout activities, for providing transport to and from the various venues and a special thank you to the Journey's End Moths for their generous donation to group funds.

    This year the Group Committee will be sponsoring 12 of our boys with transport to SANJAMB. This is partly enabled by the fact that, as a fundraiser, we have been given the opportunity to sell food at The Sharks Board at their big screen rugby events. For this opportunity I extend sincere thanks to Graeme Charter, who made this possible.

    We are always on the look out for parents to come forward and help our Scouters to run their programmes, and also for parents to serve on the Group Support Committee. No experience required! If anyone can help please feel free to contact one of our Scouters, or myself, anytime.

    Thank you

    Paul McMullen

  • Return to the top of the page.

    Cedarberg Adventure 1996

    The Cedarberg Adventure was and always will be the greatest adventure any Scout can take part in. It not only tests your physical capabilities to the limit, but it also tests you mentally. All of the tasks and obstacles you are required to perform, tests your scouting knowledge to the limit. You are forced to remember everything you have ever been taught and use it to the full.

    Our patrol consisted of six people from our troop, two from 1st Halfway House in Johannesburg and one from 3rd Durban. Craig Charter, Paul Hollows, Jonathan Heathcote, Mark Perkins and Andrew Perkins made up our patrol. Over 50 patrols went to Cedarberg '96, each with a minimum of eight scouts and a maximum of ten. There were Scouts from all over the world, Namibia, Botswana and even a patrol from as far afield as Scotland.

    The bus trip up the Cedarberg Mountains took a day and a half and was an adventure in itself. I was the youngest and so automatically got allocated to be the stress reliever, i.e. any anger and frustration was taken out on me. We stopped off halfway through the trip at a Scout hall in Bloemfontein. There we were allowed three hours, from six to nine to sight see the town (we ended up doing a lot more than sight seeing). We woke up at half past four the next day to get an early start, this was not appreciated and everyone was grumpy and frustrated during the last couple of hours of our bus trip.

    I woke and found myself in the grip of excitement that seemed to have taken over the bus, we had entered the Cedarberg mountain range. We entered the camping headquarters at eight o'clock and were allocated a tree to spend the night under. We woke up early the next day and Andrew went off to be briefed on the day's procedure. We were joined by Scouts from other patrols and issued our food rations. We only had to leave head quarters at 12 o'clock, so we passed the time having acorn wars. This was great fun but we soon got bored of fighting each other and raided the other patrols. This was not very successful as their patrols did not share our enthusiasm for the game.

    Our first base was mountain climbing. To get there we had to hike up the Tafelberg Mountain that is the second highest peak in the area. After a very hard and strenuous hike it was no comfort to see what the base leaders had installed for us. We each did a climbing circuit, firstly climbing up the side of a cliff face. Then we had to pull ourselves along a rope, which was suspended horizontally about forty metres high. When you are that high it is no comfort to know that there is a safety rope. Then we abseilled down the other side of the cliff.

    We then had a long but easy hike to the Dutch oven and handicap awareness bases. We spent two days at these bases, it was a nice change from the normal hard going, and we rested our legs, which were beginning to take strain. At Dutch oven we got a free meal, which of course we had to cook ourselves. Our spirits dropped when we realised how big a task it really was. We were required to make a starters of home made bread, main course of chicken pieces and vegetables, and two puddings, one of which was an apple pie. After expecting everything to be burnt or underdone, I was surprised to find out how well our dishes turned out. The bread we made was better than any I have ever tasted, our chicken was cooked to perfection and the puddings turned out perfectly.

    At the handicap awareness base we were shown what is like to be deaf, blind or have any other disability. We were split into pairs and while one of us was blindfolded the other's leg was strapped so as to give you the feeling of having a broken leg. The person with the broken leg then led the blind one through an obstacle course. The course took us down a steep and rocky path, where at the bottom we were led across a river on stepping-stones. I never thought that being blind would make it so difficult to do the most basic tasks.

    The next base that my patrol went to was definitely one of the better ones. The Ultimate Challenge base provided fun and excitement, we were allowed half a day to play any one of the number of games allowed. My patrol decided to play a game called capture the flag against one of the other patrols at the base that day. Each patrol was given a flag and whilst you were trying to protect your flag, you try and capture their flag. The team that ends up with both flags wins. We ended up winning one and losing one to the other patrol.

    We were then lucky enough to be given a lift to our next three bases, bass fishing, flying and canoeing. It was great fun at these bases because they were all next to each other on the edge of the dam and after each we could go swimming to cool off. At bass fishing we were first given a short lecture on the basics of fishing for bass, then we were allowed two hours to fish in a cove on the dam. Craig Charter from our troop and John from 1st Halfway caught a fish each. Canoeing was also a great base. We were given a short lecture and then split into pairs before we raced each other around a course. We were very tired and our shoulders were beginning to stiffen after all the rowing so we were lucky to get a rest before going to the flying base. There were two planes, an old crop sprayer and a motorised glider. After a short lecture we were allowed to choose which plane we wanted to fly in. The flight lasted about seven minutes during which we were allowed to fly the plane. It was great fun and definitely rated high on our best bases.

    We then went to three more water sport bases at the other end of the dam, parasailing, sailing and water skiing. Parasailing is one of the most exciting and thrilling sports that I know. It was for me definitely the most exciting base there. Each of us were towed for about ten minutes, in which we could do tricks that I did not know were possible. At the sailing base we were shown a course and then we raced one of the base leaders around it. Our self-elected captain, Jonathan managed to beat him, which made us the champions. Our next base was not such a great success. For our mountaineering base we were supposed to climb the Sneeuberg Mountain, but bad weather conditions changed our plans. Instead of climbing the highest peak in Cedarberg we had to hike back to H.Q. in freezing cold rain.

    Our last base was treasure diving. It was an easy short hike to get there and we arrived a day too early, so we had six hours to do what we wanted to do. It was lucky that we had people in our patrol that had been to Cedarberg before, otherwise we would not have known about the 12 metre high cliff that you can jump off into the diving pool below. Could not have thought of a better way of spending our free time. We dived in pairs with one of the diving instructors, our breathing mechanism was a long tube, which looked like a hose-pipe, that was connected to a generator at one end and we breathed through the other. The pool was fifteen metres deep and we were given ten minutes to explore the bottom. We were then allowed to look for canned drinks that the instructor had thrown into the pool for us.

    After the diving base we decided to take a chance and go to the shooting base, which was not on our list, to see if the instructor would let us shoot. He did and we had great fun at each of the three parts of the base. The first part was clay pigeon shooting where we were each allowed five shots at the flying disks. The second part was silhouette shooting; we were armed with a .22 rifle and then shot at small iron animals. The last part was slightly more complicated, there were four pieces of cardboard stuck in the ground and two round metal disks suspended from poles. We then had to put two bullets in each piece of cardboard and one in each disk in the shortest possible time. Our score was calculated using time and accuracy.

    I believe that the Cedarberg adventure has been the highlight of my scouting career. Any Scout who is old enough, experienced enough, and wants to have challenging fun and a totally unique experience owes it to himself to take part in the Cedarberg Adventure.

    P.L. Cheetahs

  • Return to the top of the page.

    Beach Hike

    The trek started at 10h00. We all met in Thompson's Bay car park. This was about the time it started to rain. We all whipped out anoraks, ponchos or plastic bags to cover our bags and ourselves. Our troop was split into two groups and a few Girl Guides were added. Each Patrol was given a walkie-talkie and were sent off at ten-minute intervals. After hiking for 20 minutes along the road the sun came out. We got some strange looks from passers by. We turned off the road and were soon at our first base. Here we had to build a sandcastle. Our patrol made a large turtle, as it was our patrol's name.

    We then arrived at the kite-flying base where we met up with another patrol. Our creation would have flown had there been any wind. We then hiked to the river-crossing base where we were told that our P.L. was not allowed to get wet. Well…….

    We arrived at the final base of the day at 15h30; it was the fishing base. As we cast our lines it began to pour with rain. We all sprinted to the tents that had been pitched while we were hiking. After standing under the conveniently placed tents for a while we were booted out, being told that they were for another patrol. Luckily it stopped raining for just long enough for us to set up our tents. After much laughter at David's minuscule tent, we went off to play with a tennis ball on the beach. The guides brought out their ball, which instantly started a game of "steal the ball", which after some time faded out and we returned to find food ready, well, food that anyone could have mistaken for dirty tap water. Once everyone had drunk their food we had a campfire, not! It was more like a gas lamp on a wooden deck of the local fishing club. After a couple of cups of marshmallows, I mean hot chocolate, we went to sleep.

    In the morning we awoke to the cry of distress from David, who had foolishly slept in another tent and left his bag in his own. We packed away our tents to the steady dripping of water from David ringing his clothes out. It was at this moment that Rupert found that his waterproof boots had been perfectly positioned to catch the raindrops off the tent, squelch…. After a few sachets of "Oats so Easy" we got under way. After hiking a whole 300m we arrive at our base exhausted, not. At this base the patrol all had to walk across a certain area on the planks together, this required some co-ords which some people do not appear to have!
    At 25 past 9 we arrived at the popcorn base where you could burn, I mean make, your own popcorn. We happily left the base with a massive bag of popcorn, which left us dehydrated! At 10 o'clock we arrived at the gold diving base where we had to find chocolate coins sealed in gold foil. Our patrol, excluding the guides who had walked on ahead of us, collected 7 of the fourteen coins. Of which two were mine. After getting changed we set off after the guides. We caught them before the code base where we wrote our names and a letter in code. It was at this point that we realised that the radio was malfunctioning.
    At 20 past 12 we reached a river that we had to cross. After the water was as high as our thighs we started to get worried but we made it anyway. After hiking 45 minutes straight we reached our destination where we decided to play British Bulldogs NOT. We received our well-deserved blanket patches and a hamburger. Thanks go to John Vickery for the tremendous effort that he puts into organising this, and all the other activities that he plans for the scouts.

    Second Leopards

  • Return to the top of the page.

    Competition Camp

    On Saturday the 17th October 1997 some enthusiastic scouts arrived at the scout hall to load the equipment needed for the camp. We took a long time to pack as one patrol had not organised properly. When we finally left we were surprised to find that most of the patrols were only coming later on or the next morning but we still had to pitch our tents in the increasing darkness. We only put up two tents and then called it quits and had dinner. This was about 7 p.m. and it was pretty dark but by this time our eyes had adjusted to the darkness. We then had a stalking game but it stopped very quickly as the Phoenix Scouts just gave up and started making hot chocolate while we were still stalking. After this we had a campfire which although small was heart warming and gave us a chance to boil our kettles. After this it was time for some very deep sleep. An alarm clock woke us up and got the day off to a bad start but the day was sunny and beautiful. We had a hurried breakfast and started on the development of our campsite before the start of the competition at 10 a.m. We were given a sheet of paper prior to the camp of the objects we had to construct and make.

    We had a small ceremony and were told about and had a small inspection. After this we were given talks in our achievement groups (Pathfinder, Adventurer etc.) about the topics that we were finding hard in the advancement badges. During this the senior guys (mostly from our group) were called aside and had to go through the pain of chopping and carrying 8m bamboo stems. The last one we had to chop down took over half an hour to get down as it got caught at the top with the other trees. Then Michael Steveni (Glenashley) kept on getting attacked by some sort of insects and most of them were very very strange.

    These bamboo stems were used for the JOTA part of the camp as we had to get the receivers as high as possible. (You might have seen us putting the tripod up in the Daily News of Monday 20 October). Only half of the boys were able to speak to someone on the radio but the operator was unable to get through to any overseas stations, as he unfortunately did not have his first rate gear. After the setting up of the tripods, we had lunch and then had to endure an obstacle course with Sterling finding out that if you persevere you will succeed. The obstacle course was about winning but also about teamwork and finding out the capabilities of your peers. After this it was time to start the roast chicken, with Glenashley using a rotating spit. The only problem with theirs was they didn't defrost the chickens. Part of the requirement was that we had to make three meals for the judges to test. These, as with everything, were used for points.
    After this it was time to practice our skits or songs and then time to play a few games. Then there was a campfire that took fire-lighters to get going. After this David kept our patrol up to 2 a.m. making a gate (which Paul broke in the morning anyway) which shows that you must do whatever you can to finish your gadgets? After this there was time to catch whatever sleep we could muster. We were then woken at 5 a.m. for fitness with Rowan, where our patrol got extra points for trying and doing the best. After breakfast, yet another inspection and then our patrol rushed to finish our STA, as we didn't know if these would be for points. At the same time we were taking down our campsite. After this it was the final ceremony where prizes were given out. Our troop won the competition yet again. Oliver's "Sharks" won with David's "Rhinos" coming behind him by one solitary point! We lost the competition because of the STA after leading for most of the competition. The good thing is we still have the trophy in our troop.

    P.L. Leopards

  • Return to the top of the page.

    Tarzan Camp

    On the 28th of September 2 patrols from our troop arrived at Pax Hill to participate in the Tarzan camp of 1997. We arrived to find that many of the patrols had dropped out of the camp, which meant that there would only be 4 patrols altogether. We had third choice of tree and decided on a tree near the road that a patrol from our troop had used in the past.

    We hauled our equipment up the tree with absolutely no strategy plan whatsoever, so after the 30 minutes allowed we had everything up, except for a few of our poles (that being all but three) a groundsheet and some other useless junk like our ready made platform. Luckily for us we were allowed to have anything on the ground as long as we did not touch the ground in doing so. Unluckily we were in an extremely tall tree. But this meant that our platform could be reached as the ropes attached to it were tied onto our pulley.

    After some strenuous work we fell out the tree and prepared ourselves for the first and only base of the day. At this base we had to cross an imaginary shallow river with a few staves and some rope. We built a tripod and placed it in the center of the river and jumped across. The base instructor told us that there was a better way to do it, which you could use in the case of a very wide river.

    We returned to our tree and had some food. We started fixing up our tree house and managed to get a very stable platform for cooking and for me to sleep on quite high up in the tree. After a lot of work it was finally time for our food, I made a chicken stirfry, which no one complained about and banana custard for desert. During the day members of our patrol were asked to prepare the campfire, which after a vote was cancelled. Afterwards we decided to get ready for bed and skip the hot chocolate as is was a hot night. After a bit of a sleep we packed our things away and set our minds on fixing up our tree house.

    At the second and last base we had to carry a "bomb" that reacted to a lot of movement, heat and water around a circuit. We waterproofed a matchbox and placed the "bomb" inside the box we then placed the matchbox in water and placed a rock over it. After completing the course the "bomb" was soaking wet oops…We were told that the matchbox should have been waterproofed after the "bomb" was put into it.

    After some time the main inspection came and we seemed to do ok. We then had a few minutes to have a look at the other patrols creations our other patrol's tree could be clearly seen from our tree. Once our equipment was down, we started to untie. Mr. Hollows arrived just at the right time to help us carry equipment to his vehicle. We had a closing parade and then returned to the job of packing up. Then most of us returned to the scout hall to unload the cars, before we went home.

    Thank you to the organisers of this event and to Mr. Hollows, Mr. Ten Hoorn Boer, Mr. Archibald, Mr. Gill and Mr. McMullen for their invaluable help with transporting our equipment.

    Michael Spurr
    Second Leopards

  • Return to the top of the page.


    On Saturday the 26th of July I went to a PL'S Indaba. PL'S from all over the KwaZulu-Natal area were there. What happened at first was we discussed the events on the scout calender which we wanted to keep and which we wanted to leave out. Then we watched a video on the Naval Base Training School, which showed them firing the guns on the ship. Then we got taken on a tour around the training school. We were taken on one of the boats and we went inside and saw all the controls and where the crew slept and then we went and saw all the guns on the ship. We saw the ammo for one of the weapons and the bullets were extremely big. The gun that used those bullets gave such a kick that you had to strap yourself in so that you would not fly back. We then went to have a braai and we met some of the scouts from England. Once we had finished eating we were asked by the English scouts to play football which was a big mistake - we lost 6 to 1. It was an enjoyable event. I did not expect to have as much fun as I did.

    P.L. Cheetahs

  • Return to the top of the page.


    On the 4th of April to the 6th of April, Oliver Peacock, Jonathan Steyn, Ashley Gill and myself went on a patrol camp at Chelmsford dam in Newcastle. We had great fun. We got there at about 16h00 on Friday afternoon, picked our tents and then Roger and Douglas, my two cousins, joined us. Just when they arrived we started making the kitchen. The kitchen contained the gas cookers, a gas lamp, the two trommels and the fold out table. On the first night we had hot dogs for supper and we drank coffee and hot chocolate. After supper we went for a walk along the dam wall and went out on the pier. When we came back we went to sleep.
    The next morning we woke up at about seven and had bacon and egg for breakfast. After that, Roger and Douglas arrived. They could not sleep over on Friday night because they did not have the canoes and the climbing equipment. When they arrived they took us canoeing out on the dam, they also took us right by the gates on the dam wall. After that we all slid off the pier on the canoes which was great fun. We then had lunch which was buns and fruit. Then Neil, the Water Control Officer at the Dam, took us on a tour of the dam wall which was very interesting. He showed us inside the dam wall and how the gates were operated. He even opened some of the gates for us. He showed us the erosion that happens if he uses the end gates. Then Roger and Douglas took us abseiling and rock climbing which was also very much fun. When we came home, we cooked for them to pass our cooking methods for the First Class Badge. For starters we had crumbed mushrooms, for main course we had chops, wors and sosaties and for pudding we had waffels and syrup. At about 20h00 we went to bed.
    We woke up early on Sunday morning and had cereal for breakfast. We then had the Scouts Own which took about 15 minutes. We left for the hike at 5h45. Neil took us along the Danhauser road to a school along the dirt road. From there we headed straight for the Leeukop mountain. We had to cross some wet marsh and then we had to hike up the side of the mountain. On the way up there we saw some sheep and a lot of rocks and some plants that stung us. We had finally made it to the top where you could see the whole of Chelmsford Dam which was a beautiful sight to see. We were now on our way down the mountain which was a pretty hard task. We were hiking down the mountain when all of a sudden a cliff popped up in front of us. We had quite a hard task getting around the cliff, but we managed it. On the way down the cliff, we saw some very big spiders and some plants that stung us quite badly. We had now finally made it down the mountain so we had to cross the wet marsh again. After that we were on the Danhauser road, we had to now follow the road until we got to the Chelmsford Dam turn off. It was a very long walk along the road and on the way we saw some locals and some flower fields and we also saw a big role of hay which we sat on for a while. We made it to the turn off so we turned into the turn off and we walked along the dam wall for a while. We saw a rabbit while on the wall. At about 15h00 we all packed up and ready to leave, so we went and thanked Neil and Anilies. The trip home took about for hours. The weekend was tiring but we would do it again!
    We also thank James who arranged for us to stay at the Department of Water Affairs' Chelmsford Dam.

    P.L. Cheetahs

  • Return to the top of the page.

    The 1997 Night Hike

    Between 80 and 100 scouts and guides arrived at Greenpark Railway Station, which was the start of the 1997 Night Hike. We all had to arrive before 17:45 but things only started rolling at 18:20. At this time we were split into 10 patrols. Oliver, David and I being P.L.'s of patrols 6,7 and 5 respectively. 5 minutes later we stepped onto the train ride of approximately 20-30 minutes. We were accompanied by 4 armed guards in the coach and one beside each door. We stopped at the Canefield station that is just past the Verulam station.

    We got off the train and started walking as one big group to the first base. Here we played fruit salad, had to make a miniature table and cook crumpets. Here we were let off in numerical order in 10-minute intervals. We were given instructions and moved on. The next base was situated in a valley with a course where you could ride or walk it. As there were just 2 bikes and these bikes didn't have brakes most of us just walked. It was very short and sweet. The way was lit by candles in 21 coke bottles.

    Now the 3rd base. Here we waited 11 to 2 hours as the first groups, (1+2) (we did it in groups of 2 patrols), took 11 hours to complete. It was pretty easy but made harder by not allowing us to step in some places. What we had to do was get a 25-litre water bottle out of a river. This base took so long patrols 8+9 got transported to the front and some patrols were told to just go on. This base was organised by Inanda.

    Finally we moved on and had to walk an extra kilometre (I'm not complaining) to get to the next base so it wouldn't get clogged up. Here were two bases together. One was a car overturned and had to rescue the dummy and as an extension we did some sign language. At the other base we had to make a stretcher by the P.L. ordering his blindfolded patrol where to tie the knots.

    The next base we did our best of all the bases. It was making conservation stove in less than 10 minutes. This base was to show how united the patrol was and to show how the patrol could work together. The next base was run by our troop. Here there were 2 tripods and with a 5-metre pole with a rope attached to it. We had to get across the pond, crossing through the tripods. We enjoyed the feeling of squeezing cold mud through our toes, which gave new life and freedom to our legs.

    About 300 metres away was the next base. It was the midnight base with my patrol arriving at 1:30 and I was around the middle patrol. Here we could relax, braai, talk and for some crazy boys a chance to run around and play soccer. Only four boys did this. From here we went on to the shooting base. Here we had to shoot cans that were hanging down from a pole. There was a .22 pistol and 2 different .22 rifles. We had 2-6 shots with one of our choice. After this it actually became dark enough to actually use a TORCH. The next base was run by Glenashley. Here we were shown how to use pulleys properly and how easy it is to pull about 3x your own weight (Lloyd could pull a full-grown man and me together). We were also shown how to hook and pull a Land Rover.

    After this we passed through the same roads we went last year and finished in the same place too. Here we met up with the rest of the scouts and guides. There were three patrols behind us including Oliver's and David's. Here we sat down or slept. Here was also the last base. We had to make a raft with half pumped up tyres. So most people got soaked and the tyres went under the water. At 6:00 breakfast was served. There was bacon, eggs, sausages and bread. After this our parents came to pick us up and we went home to sleep. Most scouts and guides dreamt about next year's hike.

    P.L Leopards

  • Return to the top of the page.

    Egg Drive

    On Saturday the 15th March 1997 the 1st Durban North Journey's End Scouts and Cubs went to the Hyper by the Sea to collect eggs for the needy. There were three shifts during the day from 7:00 to 12:00. Many people bought eggs after we gave them a letter. Some people gave us money and Easter Eggs, which we exchanged for more eggs.

    The cashier that we went to never had to call for change once, as we kept her supplied. The packers had to re-pack the shelves twice. The cubs collected four full trolleys. Altogether we collected 270 and a half dozen eggs. We packed two cars full of eggs and drove to Mrs Mardon's house to load her kombi. The other groups from the district also brought their eggs. The kombi was full to the brim. We then took all the eggs to Scout Headquarters. We then walked into the room with the eggs and there was no space. We had to pack them all outside in the foyer of headquarters. I've never seen so many eggs in all my life!


  • Return to the top of the page.

    Scouting (on) the Internet

    With more and more people connecting to the Internet I thought I would keep you up to date with scouting information available there. After just 10 minutes I realised that there is a huge amount of scouting information on the Internet.

    Once online you can do just about anything you could imagine from swapping badges with other scouts, finding a scouting pen-pal (hint this could be useful in gaining the World Friendship interest badge.) Catch the latest news on the Sanjamb 97 home page, which includes a list of Sanjamb's activities, as well as a look at which other scouting countries have entered. If you are interested in international scouting then look at the Boys Scouts of America site.

    What about a look at home pages in Natal. 1st Kingsburgh Scout Group has their own home page, which includes some interesting information about our neighbours.
    After 45 minutes of scouting (excuse the pun) I had seen sites from France, England, U.S.A., Russia, Mexico, Ireland, Honduras, Bosnia, Malta, Canada, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Chile, Australia and last and best South Africa.

    The information on these sites range from what scouting is about to what scouts have been doing in the recent months.

    If you have any reasonable information related to our troop which can be put on our home page e-mail me.
    Click here to e-mail me.

    If the cubs have information that they would like to be published to the world I will do my best to create them a home page and connect it to the scouts home page. Comments and suggestions on the site are always welcome. Note: most articles in the J.E.N. will be published on our home page so get online and check it out!

    The addresses of the sites in bold above

    Scout Badge Swapping
    Scouting Pen-Pal's
    Sanjamb 1997
    Boy Scouts of America
    1st Kingsburgh Scouts

    Yours in scouting (on the internet),
    Second Leopards

  • Return to the top of the page.

    World Scout logo
    This Page was created and updated by Mike Spurr, any comments, quieries or suggestions about this page are welcomed. Click HERE to fill out a feedback form (only takes about 60 seconds) PLEASE make use of this feature as it will lead to future improvements of my pages.
    This page was updated last on the 3rd of June 1998 by Mike Spurr